Heroin, an opioid drug made from the resin of poppy plants was created by a pharmaceutical company in Germany and has been around since the end of the 19th century. The initial intention was for it to be used as a medication for tuberculosis. However, in 1924, the “Heroin Act” was introduced, making it illegal to manufacture, distribute and possess heroin. The illegal production and consumption of this addictive drug have continued since then.
Here are some international statistics about heroin you probably did not know
- Opiates, heroin especially, makes for 18% of the admissions for drug and alcohol treatment in the United States.
- Reports from the 2007 National Survey on Drug Use and Health indicated that there were 153,000 current heroin users in the United States.
- Four out of every five drug-related deaths in Europe was caused by heroin, according to a report from the European Monitoring Centre on Drugs and Drug Addiction in 2008.
- 4,812,000 individuals were reported to have used heroin in 2013.
- 10,574 heroin overdose cases were reported by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention in 2014.
- The New York Daily News, in 2016 reported over 52,000 deaths related to a drug overdose in the United States.
Heroin addiction can be disastrous. We understand the challenges you are going through, coupled with the perceived stigma preventing you from seeking the help that you need. Remember, there is no shame in starting over, and creating a new life where it is easier to stay away from drugs. You need to create a new beginning in order to keep away all the factors that initially led to your heroin addiction, and we are here to help. Keep in mind that recovery begins in a day and usually doesn’t day-offs.
Cale PPC is a non-profit organization, who, in their collaborative efforts seek to educate and spread awareness about the negative influence of heroin, as well as provide all necessary support for drug addicts to fight their addiction and live a drug-free life which they deserve.